Saturday, October 10, 2015

My position on Housing

If elected and if I can get two other Supervisors to agree...this is my plan:

Firstly, I don't think our present housing program is working for us.  By this I mean that Tunica still has some of our citizens living in unsafe and unhealthy conditions.

Second, the first phase of this new program will concentrate on the Old Sub and the New Sub.

This is the plan:

Starting in Jan 2016, each neighborhood will nominate a volunteer resident to work with Housing Dept Head, Mardis Jones.

The first year will be spent researching for and finding grants and/or programs that will allow for the tear down and construction of new green housing in these two neighborhoods.  Jones will make a presentation of these findings to the Board of Supervisors for a decision.  Once a decision is made by the BOS, Jones will make application for the grant and/or program early enough in 2016 so that funding will be available to the County on 1 Jan 2017.

Starting in 2017, the grants and/or programs will be put into action.  Residences will be identified for inclusion and tear down and construction will begin.

If I am elected to serve in the Beat 2 Supervisor position, it is my intention to serve for 4 years and 4 years only.  It will then be the responsibility of another Beat 2 resident to step up.  Hopefully, through our monthly meetings, Beat 2 will come together to identify the person who is most qualified to take my place.

I am asking for your vote.  I have big plans for Beat 2.  While we get our financial house in order, we have to continue to move forward.  Our schools will be coming back because they have been taken over by the State of MS.  I served with a group of citizens to make this happen.  Let's address our next problem: Housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment