Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Hello Mayor

Last night after the Board of Supervisor's Meeting, I had a conversation with Tunica Mayor Chuck Cariker.

Part of this conversation had to do with information Chuck received from the Secretary of State.  As I understand it, Chuck was told that I should not have been a Poll Worker at the Tunica Library on 4 Aug 2015.  I want to set the record straight for all of you who may be thinking the same thing.

1. I was not a Poll Worker.

2. I was a Poll Watcher.

And here is the difference.

1. A Poll Worker is hired to work the polls by checking in voters, opening the polls, closing the polls, etc.  Poll Workers also include a Poll Manager and a Bailiff..

2. A Poll Watcher is credentialed by a candidate to observe what happens at the Precinct and/or to check off the names of voters as they sign-in to vote.  The purpose of checking off the names is to be able to communicate with the candidate who may have come to vote and who has not yet arrived at the polls With this information, the candidate can then communicate with the voter about how to get them to the polls to cast their ballot.

So, there it is sports fans.  I was not a Poll Worker.  I was a Poll Watcher.  There is a difference.

PS:  It is not illegal for me to have been a Poll Worker.  It is just a little concerning when a General Election Candidate is also a Poll Worker.  It doesn't look very good.  Poll Workers are supposed to be fair and impartial.  Again, I was not a Poll Worker.  I was a Poll Watcher.


No comments:

Post a Comment