Thursday, March 26, 2015

Updated: An Email from the Tunica Times Editor Meg Coker

Just received the following email from the Tunica Times Editor.  Before posting the email, I want to make something very clear.  When a writer gives credit to a book or a newspaper or any other printed material it would be very hard to prove "copyright infringement".  Don't other writers include footnotes, etc.?  Additionally, I wonder why the Editor of the Tunica Times would be so antsy about someone taking issues with their offerings. For instance, do you really believe you had a right to say the false things you said about Michael Thompson and have no one challenge you? Actually, you didn't happen to mention who wrote this article about Mr. Thompson.  This cowardly lion found the courage to stand up at a Board of Supervisors' Meeting and challenge what was stated.  Your parents were sitting right there.  Do you think this was fun for me?  No, it wasn't but it was the right thing to do.  "You know it and I know it."  And by the way, don't I do research and present at Board of Supervisors' Meetings?

Perhaps Meg is upset by what I write about our newspaper.  Sure wish she would look at my complaints and see if they have any value.  She and anyone else is welcome to answer on this blog and to correct me if I am wrong.  It's not like no one is reading this blog.  When I opened up to write this post we had 29,967 hits.  So, please if you have anything to say about anything on this blog, speak up.  I'm not beyond making mistakes.

As always, blogger's comments are in yellow.

"Barbara, It's Thursday and the paper is already out.  The quote that you're looking for is in the story on the front page.  Although it violates our copyright for you to reprint articles of ours without permission, you've done it anyway.  I trust that now will be no different.  Blogger's note: I believe I have given the Tunica Times credit when I have responded to one of their articles or criticized their policies either on this blog or in a Letter to the Editor.  Additionally, I almost always send my letters to Brooks because on the few occasions that I have approached Meg, this is the type of response I'm subjected to and this just isn't worth my time and quite frankly, I don't have time for these temper tantrums.

Yesterday, I went to a funeral for a 27 year old man.  On Sunday night, he went to bed and didn't wake up.  We are not promised tomorrow and I've decided that life is too short to spend it around people who spend their time stealing joy from others.  That's what you do. Because you are lonely and miserable, you bully others.  You call yourself a whistleblower.  A whistleblower is someone who steps out on courage alone to bring information to light.  It's not courageous to hide behind a computer screen.  Most of the things you write you would not say to someone's face.  I know it and you know it.  Blogger's Note: Not true.  Not once have you ever brought your "concerns" to this office to discuss like a grown up.  You may think these things, but anytime I've ever been around you, you're sitting there hiding behind your knitting.  Blogger's note:  Now wait just a minute here.  I resent this about my knitting.  I can knit and pay attention at meetings so don't you go talking about my knitting.

You claim people hate you.  I think most people, me included, just feel sorry for you.  It must be such a sad existence to wake up unhappy every single day.  So, cowardly lion, I wish the wizard would bring you a heart.  Perhaps then you will see there's more to life than blogs, facebook posts, and all other forms of cyber bullying.  I'm lucky enough to have a husband who I've loved since the day I met him and three sons who bring me smiles with every breath they take.  They are certainly enough to make this life worth living.

Thanks and I hope you really do have a beautiful day! Meg"

Blogger's note:  All I can say is that Meg Coker doesn't know me at all.

Update: Have a response to Meg's email from Meg: "I will not be reading your response on your blog.  Again, it's cowardly to put it out on the Internet.  Thanks for continuing to prove my point."

Houston, we have a problem.  Does our Tunica County newspaper of record think they can print anything and not be called to task by anyone?  I am beginning to understand why my friends in the black community are hesitant to subscribe to the Tunica Times although you all know I've tried to convince you otherwise.  Does the TT understand that all people have a voice?  Are they aware that when I send a letter to the editor I always give them until Thursday to publish it in the TT before I put it on the blog?

Oh, BTW, since publishing the first email from Meg earlier in the day I have:
1. Made 5 quilt blocks
2. Read one chapter of a book.
3. Reviewed information about GO Bonds.
4. Corresponded with quilt buddies about an upcoming brunch.
5. Worked on a quilted hexie table runner.
6. Corresponded with a committee member about TCSD Board Meetings.
7. Washed a load of clothes...geez these dogs use a bunch of towels.
8. And now I'm going to have a snack and watch the news.

Does this seem lonely and miserable to you?  Maybe some folks around here are not use to outspoken people like me but they should be by now.  I've lived here for 15 years and I've spent a lot of time investigating in order to improve our County.

Let me take a moment to thank the Tunica Times for helping to move our hits to well over 30,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment