Thursday, July 9, 2015

In My Humble Opinion: Tunica County School District

As soon as the Governor signs the state of emergency for our schools, this unfortunate chapter in our history will be over and the healing and the work will begin.

The first thing I want to say is that the demise of our School District may be blamed on 4 individuals: Former Superintendent of Education, Bernard Stephen Chandler and Board of Education Members Tomeka Cotton, Delois Hardimon and Rev. Joe Anderson.  Both Larry Braziel and Marilyn Young consistently voted against the destructive insistence of the other 3 members.  That being said, it is time to start healing and time to get to work for all of us.  And...by all of us, I mean each and every one of us and that includes me and you.

I am responsible for my vote for Tomeka Cotton.  I am not responsible for BS Chandler as I did not vote for him.  No matter, I will do all that I can do to help clean up this mess. What will you do?

IMHO, we all need to step up for our various reasons.  The most important reason is the children who attend our public schools.  The next important reason is attracting businesses and jobs to Tunica.  We are not going to attract either businesses or people to Tunica with a failing school system.

It does not matter whether you send or have sent your children to the private school or not. Businesses do not look at the success of a private school when they are thinking about locating in our area.  If you choose the private school for education, you are not relieved of your school tax and you are not relieved of your public education responsibilities.  Your vote still counted at the polls and therefore you share in the responsibility of the educational improvement of our public schools.

Let's all get to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment