Sunday, July 13, 2014

Handing our Military Pink Slips

Yesterday, a friend...and I do consider her a very dear friend eventhough she's a Republican :) brought up the news report of the military drawdown.  I did mention that I had read an article about this subject but had not had time to investigate it.  That's what I do...investigate...that's why I'm a Whistleblower.  BTW, all corrections of what I found or think I found are welcome.  Just enter your information in the comments section of this blog.

So, here we go.  The budget sequestration went into effect on 1 Mar 2013.  Remember President Obama saying this was not a smart thing to do?  Yes, I believe this was President Obama's idea but he didn't think Republican would really do it.  Why?  Because it is not smart.  The President was trying to get the House to move on something...anything.  Well, he did that alright.  The House, incharge of all things money, shut down the government and didn't repeal the sequestration legislation.

The sequestration legislation is an across the board cut in federal spending.  Every department is included and this will last until 2021 unless we Democrates overturn the House or Republicans convince their representatives they don't want it.

Now, back to the Military Pink Slips.  The Defense Department was not left out of the sequestration cuts.  So, how are they going to make their cuts and get the most bang for their buck after the wars have ended?  It seems the Department of Defense has decided to make most of their cuts at the highest level.  After all, it wouldn't help their bottom line to cut a bunch of Privates.

How does this help America?  In my opinion it just makes us weaker and we are losing our investment in the training of these high level military men and women.  On an emotional level, I think any American who qualifies for service in the Military should be able to join and retire from the Military if they so choose.  They sure shouldn't be booted for budgetary reasons.

Now, let's talk about some action.  IMHO what Republicans need to do is write to their representatives in Congress and ask them to repeal sequestration.  Sequestration is a Republican problem because they allowed it to go into effect on 1 Mar 2013.  That shouldn't have happened and the government shutdown shouldn't have happened either.  Republicans need to write to President Obama and tell them they don't agree with the Military Pink Slip decision.  Republicans or anyone can start an online petition at Moveon.org. You might try that.

What am I going to do?  Hmmm, both Senators in MS are Republicans.  I might write to them and ask them to speak with some of their colleagues in the House.  My Representative in the House is a Democrat and he's already on board with these ideas.  I may send yet another letter to President Obama.  Mostly, I've been writing to President Obama about the VA so maybe he would be interested in hearing from me on another subject.  I like writing to my representatives in government.  That's what Whistleblowers do.

The bottom line is this: This problem was caused by Republican inaction.  If you don't like it, stand up and do something about it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment