Sunday, March 9, 2014

Letter from W. Ellis Pittman, Esq.

Below is the text of a letter sent to the Tunica County Board of Supervisors on Sunday, March 2, 2014


RE: Recent Media Coverage Regarding Revelation Hospice


Dear Members of the Board:


The purpose of this letter is to address the allegations and recent media coverage involving Revelation Hospice.  It has been reported to me that (3) of the supervisors have been bombarded with questions regarding the recent events involving Michael Thompson and myself.  Clearly, as to the members of the board that supported my appointment (Supervisors Nickson, Daley, and Williams);  I want to put your minds at ease about this situation.  As to President Dunn and Supervisor Burnett, I assure you that I am here to represent the entire Board of Supervisors for Tunica County.  I have always operated my businesses as I have lived my life and that is with honesty and integrity.


On February 27, 2014, I was at a hearing in Chancery Court when I received a telephone about agents from the Office of Inspector General (OIG) and Federal Bureau of Investigation being present at the office of Revelation Hospice.  I spoke with the OIG agent in charge who advised me that they just wanted to let me know what was taking place and that I could come by when I finished in court.  After the hearing, I went to Revelation Hospice and there were approximately thirty (30) armed agents on the scene.  I was told that a helicopter was flying over the building prior to my arrival.  The OIG agent in charge informed me that they had a search warrant for records.  I responded that as a condition of being a Medicare provider we have to allow them access to all records at any time with or without a warrant of subpoena.  When I questioned the agent about the numerous FBI agents in tactical gear, I was advised that the FBI was there to provide security for the OIG agents who are also armed law enforcement agents.


What is not reported in the news is that the staff of Revelation Hospice fully cooperated with the agents from OIG as they all agreed to be interviewed and answer any questions that were asked.  In addition, I fully cooperated with OIG and agreed to be interviewed.  I also offered to allow a search of my law office as well as my home.  I was told that there was not a warrant for that and my reply was that I would sign a consent because I would rather that they do their show all in the same day versus knocking on my door at 2:00 a.m. in the morning.  The agent in charge stated that they had done what they needed to do and did not wish to search my law office or home.  The FBI did not raid nor take part in getting the files or any other items from Revelation Hospice.  The OIG agent in charge stated that they were not there to shut the business down, but that they were there to get records.


My ownership in Revelation Hospice stems from the startup funds I provided.  As to the day to day operations and management, that is left to the expertise of the medical staff and licensed physicians.  On January 21, 2014, the Mississippi Department of Health made an unannounced visit to Revelation Hospice to review patients' files, talk to employees, and visit patients' home.  They did not bring a search warrant, state troopers, other armed law enforcement officers, news media, or a helicopter, which is completely different from the February 27, 2014 visit.  The staff at Revelation Hospice fully cooperated with the State Department of Health and I have attached hereto a copy of their findings from their survey.


It is no coincidence that the news media showed up at the same time that Agents from OIG and FBI arrived.  It is not a coincidence that the arrest and detention of Michael Thompson occurred on the day before the February 12, 2014 board meeting. (Note: s/b February 13, 2014)  It is not a coincidence that the search and media coverage of a business, that I am a co-owner of, occurred on the same day as the February 27, 2014 board meeting.  It is not a coincidence that the U. S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Mississippi is involved in this matter.  It is no coincidence that only my picture and name were used in the media coverage.  Needless to say, I truly believe that there is more to the situation involving Revelation Hospice.  Usually, there is a great deal more than is printed in the paper and shown on a thirty (30) second news clip.


I have practiced law for over eighteen (18) years and there has never been any form of disciplinary action taken against my professional license.  In my law practice, I have always represented individuals in the type of cases that many lawyers will not touch.  I accept cases involving sexual harassment, discrimination based on race, religion, and gender.  Although I have represented many law enforcement officers, I have also filed lawsuits against many governmental entities based upon the activities of law enforcement officers.  Further, I represent people with serious problems in not so popular matters, which create serious feelings and emotions toward me.  My representation of ostracized people and tough cases shall continue because when I stop where will they go.


Just last year, I represented the only African-American Assistant U.S. Attorney in the criminal division in the Northern District of Mississippi in a case that was being investigated by the Office of Inspector General (OIG).  During that investigation, a charge of discrimination was brought against the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Mississippi.  A confidential agreement was reached in said matter.


An over whelming number of MBN cases are brought by the Criminal Division of U.S. Attorney's office in Oxford, Mississippi.  The deputy sheriff that initiated the stop on Michael Thompson is a former agent for the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics (MBN) that was terminated for alleged misconduct.  I represent the deputy and the Court file is a matter of public record.  MBN was ordered by the Administrative Law Judge to reinstate the deputy.  The decision was appealed to the full board who upheld the decision to reinstate the former agent.  MBN has filed a further appeal to the Circuit Court of Hinds County and I am still the attorney of record for the deputy.


Last year a lifelong resident of Quitman County was arrested in Memphis for possession of a felony amount of marijuana.  Agents from MBN obtained a warrant from a Quitman County Justice Court Judge and went to the home of the suspect's girlfriend and seized approximately $300,000 in cash.  I filed a civil lawsuit for the return of the money and expect that the Court will order the money be returned to me.


Let me be clear, the innuendoes printed and shown in the media coverage regarding me are false.  I appreciate the words of encouragements and support that I have gotten from so many people.  Supervisors Nickson, Daley, and Williams, your decision to appoint me is not one that you will regret.  President Dunn and Supervisor Burnett, if you work with me and listen to my legal advice you will find that I am a skilled and knowledgeable attorney.  I have always and will continue to represent my clients with honesty and integrity.


Should any of you have any additional questions or comments, please call, you have my cellular number.


Sincerely,
PITTMAN & ASSOCIATES, PLLC


signed  W. Ellis Pittman, Esq.



No comments:

Post a Comment