Thursday, February 9, 2012

8 Feb 2012 Board of Education Meeting

The following is a note I sent to my representative on the School Board after last night's meeting.

"Thanks for the opportunity to speak to the Board of Education tonight...although in attempting to say I could see a vast improvement since the last time I attended a meeting...I got away from my written remarks.

I did not find it very helpful for Marilyn to spend time lecturing about how the board works. I know she is upset about the newspaper article but I was there to speak to you all about the letter we received. The effort I made to speak to you all would need to have a Board that is ready to listen.

Larry Braziel's remarks were totally out of line. I spoke with him before you all went into Executive Session and he said he was not talking about me.

Additionally, I will not be spending any additional time in setting up a meeting with the Superintendent. I found his facial expressions when Board members voted against his requests disturbing. What I am going to do is to turn this request from the Board back to the person who wrote the letter of complaint.

This is all very unfortunate. I really thought I saw lots of improvement in the Board meetings. The remarks from Marilyn Young, Larry Braziel and B. S. Chandler have proven to me that this Board is not interested in listening."

End of note.

Let's start by saying this is the same type of treatment the Transparency Committee received from the Board of Supervisors in 2008 when we asked for clarity as they conducted their meetings. Then Board President, Billy Pegram, told us the Board was being "transparent" and four years later we are still digging to find information.

Next, Ms. Young, when citizens come to Board of Education meetings to speak with you, please listen. This is not a time for you vent your personal frustration about what is on your mind. It is a time to listen whether you agree or not.

Mr. Braziel, the word argument does not mean the same thing as the word fight. An argument is one side or the other of a debate. I might be wrong about this so look it up.

Mr. Chandler, first be aware that I am not a citizen who believes a Superintendent should be elected. I believe we need to interview and hire the best person we can afford to hire. Our children are too important to do otherwise. That being said, I found your body language toward the Board of Education to be less then desirable. We elected our representatives and when they vote you down on a certain subject, accept it. Don't sit there shaking your head. It gives the impression you think you are the smartest person in the room.

My representative, Tomaka Cotton, voted against your proposal on the Mississippi Teachers Appraisal and I happen to think she did the right thing for the right reasons. Your timing is wrong for changing this policy when a State mandated policy will be in place this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment