Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Presidential Election in Tunica County

Before I post my thoughts about the above subject, I want to say something about what I consider harassment of me by our Circuit Clerk, Sharon Cranberry.  AGAIN!

On Tuesday, I was poll watching for a candidate.  So that I could take bathroom breaks, walk around a bit, check reading materials from the library, have my husband bring me snacks and lunch, I also had in my possession credentials for my husband, Bob Tuchel.  I had shown both my credentials and Bob's to the Poll Manager upon entering the library.

As Bob entered and left the library the Poll workers joked around with him as did I with comments like "bye honey".  It was really turning out to be a very pleasant day.  And then came the phone call from Sharon.

This is what happened: I had just come back from checking out some reading material from the library.  Bob was still sitting at the table and I was discussing with him what to fix for dinner.  Mia came in to vote and there was no one in the room except Mia, the Poll Workers and the Tuchels.  Bob left and a phone call came to the Poll Manager to tell me that both Bob and I could not be Poll Watching for the same person at the same time.

Stop harassing me Sharon. I'm sorry my husband didn't get up fast enough for you.  I am a private citizen doing my best to do my civic duty.  You are a government official.  I will speak out on your continued harassment of me each and every time.

And now on to the good stuff.  Turn out in Tunica County on Tuesday was low.  Of those who took the time to vote, 75% of Tunica County voted for Hillary Clinton.  Our State does not reflect our wishes.

Therefore, I am suggesting that we take our choice and our voices and join the movement to abolish the Electoral College.  This is something I have been talking about since Bush/Gore.  With the results on Tuesday, it has now been twice in our recent history that the Electoral College did not match the popular vote.

It is time for every vote to count.  Our Country is too big to have the Electoral College.  It is my belief in the aftermath of this ugly election that the underlying problem is that not every vote counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment