Thursday, January 22, 2015

Letter to the Editor from Dennis Taylor

This letter appeared in the Tunica Times 23 Jan 2015 edition.  Really happy to see Dennis take the time to write to the newspaper.  I didn't attend the School Board Meeting on 14 Jan 2015 but had heard this discussed a couple of times.  The last time I heard about this unfortunate display of rudeness was last night and I vowed to contact my representative on the Board, who is also the Board President.

So, here is Dennis' letter:

"School Board meeting disappoints
 
On January 14, 2015, I attended a School Board Meeting, where during the meeting: I was totally disappointed in what I witnessed between the Superintendent and several Board Members.  During an outpour of concerns by people in the community, I found it very childish and disrespectful for the Superintendent and also the President of the Board to turn their backs and mock jokingly to the community as they spoke on their concerns regarding the education of our Future Global Leaders.
 
The Superintendent and the Board President found it amusing as some concerned citizens spoke concerning important issues pertaining to our schools.  The board works with its superintendent as a leadership team to identify the overall mission of the school district and the plans that will be put in place as the roadmap to fulfill the mission.  This has yet to happen!
 
A single board member has no power.  Behaving ethically is a serious obligation.  Not only does your community expect you to be impeccably ethical, so does the sate law.  As school leaders, you've been entrusted with serving our communities and its children.
 
School Board President and Superintendent, your moral and spiritual health is required because, what really matters isn't power, position, money, etc.  It's the honorable way you build relationships with others and the difference you make in their lives that count.  The board is obligated to be equitable, ensuring the district serves children whose needs and strengths are broadly diverse.  Show some respect for you community members and their opinions, even when you don't agree.
 
It's your job to do your best to be open, honest, fair, and impartial in all matters.  Remember always that your first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of all the students attending the Tunica School District.  As a leader you are seen as a person of power,  When you speak, you speak for the district as a whole.  The world is looking at you and making assumptions.  As of now, those assumptions aren't decent."
Dennis Taylor
 
Note from the blogger:  I have not heard from my representative on the Tunica County Board of Education.  When and if there is a response, I will add it to this post.  As of now, I am very disappointed in my representative.




I spoke with my School Board representative on 22 Jan 2015.  I live in Beat 2.  Therefore, my representative is the President of the School Board.  She denies what is represented about her in Mr. Taylor's letter and indicated she will write a rebuttal to Mr. Taylor' letter and will send it to the Tunica Times.

I have had previous conversations with my representative about the $15K raise that was awarded to the Superintendent on 14 May 2014.  As recorded in the School Board minutes for that date, the vote to approve this raise in salary is recorded as follows:

Beat 1: Marilyn Young: No
Beat 2: Tomaka Cotton: Yes
Beat 3: Larry Braziel: No
Beat 4: Delois Hardiman: Yes
Beat 5: Joe Anderson: Yes

At the end on our conversation, I asked my representative how many "unsatisfactory" indicators were on the Superintendent's 2014 Evaluation?  The President of the Board indicated there was one unsatisfactory indicator.  Please read the next post on this blog to view the Superintendent's 2014 Evaluation.  This Evaluation is signed by:

Board President: Tomaka Cotton: 2/7/2014
Board Secretary: Marilyn Young: 2/7/2014
Superintendent**: Bernard S. Chandler: 2/7/2014

**The superintendent's signature does not necessarily indicate complete agreement with this evaluation but acknowledges that the performance discussion has occurred.

Note from the blogger:  I have had this evaluation in my possession since 11 Jan 2014.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment